Accessibility statement for South Somerset District Council

This accessibility statement applies to

This website is run by South Somerset District Council. We want as many people as

possible to be able to use this website. For example, that means you should be able to:

  • Change colours, contrast levels and fonts
  • Zoom in up to 300% without the text spilling off the screen
  • Navigate most of the website using just a keyboard
  • Navigate most of the website using speech recognition software
  • Listen to most of the website using a screen reader (including the most recent versions of JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver)

We’ve also made the website text as simple as possible to understand.

AbilityNet has advice on making your device easier to use if you have a disability.

 How accessible this website is

 We know some parts of this website are not fully accessible:

 You cannot modify the line height or spacing of text

  • You can’t change the colour contrast levels or fonts
  • Some of our online booking system is difficult to navigate using just a keyboard or screen reader
  • You cannot skip to the main content when using a screen reader

 Feedback and contact information

 If you need information on this website in a different format like accessible PDF, large print,

easy read, audio recording or braille:


  • call 01935 462462
  • We’ll consider your request and get back to you in 7 days.

 Reporting accessibility problems with this website

 We’re always looking to improve the accessibility of this website. If you find any problems

not listed on this page or think we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, contact:

 Enforcement procedure

 The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Public

Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018
(the ‘accessibility regulations’). If you’re not happy with how we respond to your complaint,
contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).

 Contacting us by phone or visiting us in person

 We provide a text relay service for people who are D/deaf, hearing impaired or have a speech impediment. Our offices have audio induction loops, or if you contact us before your visit we can arrange a British Sign Language (BSL) interpreter.

 Technical information about this website’s accessibility

 South Somerset District Council is committed to making its website accessible, in accordance with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018.

Preparation of this accessibility statement

 This statement was prepared on 25 September 2020. It was last reviewed on 21 September 2020.

Here are some of the questions most frequently asked by visitors.  If you still have any questions please contact us.

Are dogs allowed in the park?

Dogs are welcome throughout the Country Park. It is a popular dog walking site with both local residents and visitors. We ask dog owners to be responsible and respectful of other visitors to the park. Please keep your dog within sight and under control. Cattle graze on summerhouse Hill and Wyndham Hill and we ask that you keep your dog on a lead when cattle are present.

The cycle way is heavily used and we recommend that your dog is kept on a lead when cyclists approach.

Please pick up after your dog. Dog bins are provided at regular intervals along the lower paths in the Country Park.

Dogs are not allowed in the children’s play area or in the enclosed area surrounding the lake. The area is clearly signposted and gated. We are lucky enough to have rare species present in the brook and the lake. We would like to minimise disturbance and protect them.

Well behaved dogs are welcome in the Ninesprings café, education and information centre. Please keep your dog on a lead whilst visiting the café.

Can I hold an event in the park?

Please complete an application form and we aim to get back to you within two weeks.

Can I fly my drone in the park?

The use of drones on SSDC countryside sites is prohibited. This is for a number of reasons but chiefly because most of our land is designated for open public access. We feel it only appropriate that all visitors should be able to make use of the countryside for recreation without unknowingly, and without their permission, being filmed or being put in danger of a collision with a drone being flown by an inexperienced operator.

If you wish to fly a drone at one of our countryside sites (Yeovil Country Park, Ham Hill Country Park, Chard Reservoir LNR, Moldrams Ground LNR, Eastfield LNR or Sampsons Wood in Yeovil) as part of a specific film project then you must make contact with us to discuss it first. Please refer to the filming guidelines on the SSDC website .It should be noted that all of Yeovil is a no fly zone and that at other countryside sites there are further land owner permissions that must be granted where SSDC is not the sole owner. Each approach will be considered and if your project is for commercial gain then a fee will be applied.

Can I use a metal dector in the park?

The use of metal dectectors are not permitted. The reason we do not allow metal detecting at our country parks and Local Nature Reserves is that some of our country parks, including Yeovil, have an important history which we have a duty to protect. Ham Hill is a scheduled ancient monument and under the Ancient Monuments and Archaeological Areas Act 1979 metal detecting is strictly not permitted.

Beyond the historical importance of our countryside sites, we also have a wide variety of, and in some cases rare, flowering plants and invertebrates that risk being dug up and disturbed if we were to allow metal detecting.

We get many requests each year from people who would like to find an area to discover and if we allowed metal detecting across our fields and in our woodlands, our country parks and nature reserves would become hugely disturbed and not the high quality landscapes for everyone to enjoy as they are today.

If you join a club, such as Yeovil Metal Detecting club ( you will be able to find the best approved locations within an area and there will also be a network of people to help you to identify your finds.

Where can I purchase a licence for the Adon Estate?

Ownership of this land was transferred on 4th January  

If you are interested in having a license for 2019 please contact George Rogers at at Symonds and Sampson, 2 Court Ash, Yeovil BA20 1HG or


The licences are £50.00 per annum

Can I plant a memorial trees or bench?

The memorial arboretum at Ninesprings is full and unable to accommodate any new plantings.

However the ranger team plant trees following laurel clearance each year within the park to help re-establish woodland in areas once swamped by the invasive plant. Trees must be in accordance with the planting scheme and paid for. Plaques are not permitted on trees planted outside the memorial arboretum.

If you would like to make an enquiry about a memorial tree please contact the ranger team on or call 01935 462684 and ask to speak to one of the countryside rangers at Yeovil Country Park.

Can I feed the ducks at Ninesprings?

Yes you can but we ask that you don’t feed them bread. Bread is bad for ducks as it has no nutritional value and makes them feel full when it swells in their stomachs. Leftover bread also attracts rats to the area. Please feed our ducks bird seed.  Bird seed, or specially made duck food, is much better for them and any leftovers can be picked up by smaller birds such as Robins, Dunnocks and Blackbirds.

Do you know you have terrapins?

Yes, we have 4 or 5 adult terrapins in the lake at Ninesprings currently. The terrapins have been released illegally we assume from owners who can no longer provide a home for them. We humanely caught 3 adults last year and re homed them.

We are actively trying to humanely catch the remaining terrapins and will look to re home them responsibly. Adult terrapins are 95% herbivorous. We only have adults at Ninesprings. We are trying to remove and re home but they are a extremely difficult to catch! We aim to remove all of the terrapins as they are a non-native species. They cannot breed in our current climate but with increasing UK temperatures there is the risk that they could in the future.

If you do spot one, please pop into the Ninesprings Cafe and ask for one of the rangers. It’s best not to try and catch it yourself as they can snap.

What do countryside events cost?

The countryside team try and secure grant income to enable them to run events on a free or cost recovery basis. However for some sessions we need to make a charge; our scale of charges is detailed below. All events are clearly advised as free or with a price per place. If you book the Countryside Rangers to deliver a private event or session for your group, at our Countryside Sites, our charges are detailed below. Some of our work incurs a standard rated VAT charge and this is included in the calculations below. Please note that the cost of a place on an advertised play scheme may be higher than the minimum charge cited below if the event incurs higher materials costs. We will always strive to keep our charges as low as we can.

Fees and Charges