Here are some of the questions we are most frequently asked by our visitors. If you still have any questions please contact us.

Are dogs allowed in the park?

Dogs are more than welcome on Ham Hill. We do ask that where sheep are grazing that all dogs are kept on a lead. Up to date details of the where sheep are grazing can be found on the noticeboard outside the Ham Hill Ranger’s Office. There are numerous dog bins across the hill and should you forget – poop bags are available from the Ranger’s Office

Where are the sheep at Ham Hill, I want to walk my dog of lead?

Please see our Facebook page for up to date information regarding location of sheep.

This land is  grazed under HLS for the restoration of species rich grassland.

Sheep are an important conservation tool at the park because they graze the grass tight and remove nutrients from the soil. This encourages finer grasses and wildflowers to grow in the area and ensures that we hit our grazing targets set by Natural England.

Stewardship from NE provides about £20,000 each year, which helps towards keeping the site the wonderful place that it is. Without this funding we would struggle to maintain and improve the site as we do.

Can I use a metal detector at Ham Hill?

No. Ham Hill is a Scheduled Ancient Monument and any sort of excavations or the use of metal detectors is deemed an offence

Where can I ride my horse at Ham Hill?

We do have limited bridleways that cross parts of Ham Hill country park. The best resource for information regarding local bridleways is the Ordnance survey map explorer series No.129 covers the Yeovil and Sherborne area. It is 1:25 scale so is easy to read and shows all the bridleways. Online sources of information which you may find usual are and which has a link to the rights of way map on it.

Can I hold an event in the park?

Please complete an application form and we aim to get back to you within two weeks.

Can I fly my drone in the park?

The use of drones on SSDC countryside sites is prohibited. This is for a number of reasons but chiefly because most of our land is designated for open public access. We feel it only appropriate that all visitors should be able to make use of the countryside for recreation without unknowingly, and without their permission, being filmed or being put in danger of a collision with a drone being flown by an inexperienced operator.

If you wish to fly a drone at one of our countryside sites (Yeovil Country Park, Ham Hill Country Park, Chard Reservoir LNR, Moldrams Ground LNR, Eastfield LNR or Sampsons Wood in Yeovil) as part of a specific film project then you must make contact with us to discuss it first. Please refer to the filming guidelines on the SSDC website .It should be noted that all of Yeovil is a no fly zone and that at other countryside sites there are further land owner permissions that must be granted where SSDC is not the sole owner. Each approach will be considered and if your project is for commercial gain then a fee will be applied.

• Are there any paths suitable for wheelchairs and pushchair/buggies?

There is an all-access trail just under one mile long that leads you round the northern section of the site, past the stone circle and up to the war memorial

Can I hold an event in the park?

Please complete the application form, and we aim to get back to you within two weeks.

When is the Ranger Office open?

Staff are on site Monday to Friday and for organised weekend events. However, due to the nature of their work they will not be in the office all of the time. If you would like to meet or talk to a member of staff, please give us a call on 01935 823617.

Are you allowed to have a BBQ on Ham Hill?

BBQs are currently banned on site due to the high fire risk.

Where can I go on Ham Hill and what time is it open?

Ham Hill is managed for free, public open access all year round, twenty four hours a day. The country park covers about 400 acres and the best way to find out where to go is to check out our map here. There are copies available in the ranger’s office.

• Why are there sheep on Ham Hill?

Ham Hill is grazed with sheep and sometimes a small number of cattle for roughly 6-8 months of the year, mostly during the summer. Ham Hill has been grazed by sheep for centuries, and is a really important management technique. Grazing in different areas produces a varied structure of grassland that encourages a diverse range of plant and animal species. It is also the best way of controlling scrub growth, so protects the important grassland and archaeological features and keeps the site accessible for recreation. Where sheep are grazing please keep all dogs on leads and make sure that you keep gates closed. All areas currently being grazed are clearly signed. There will always be areas of the country park where sheep aren’t grazing.

• What do countryside events cost?

The countryside team try and secure grant income to enable them to run events on a free or cost recovery basis. However for some sessions we need to make a charge; our scale of charges is detailed below. All events are clearly advised as free or with a price per place. If you book the Countryside Rangers to deliver a private event or session for your group, at our Countryside Sites, our charges are detailed below. Some of our work incurs a standard rated VAT charge and this is included in the calculations below. Please note that the cost of a place on an advertised play scheme may be higher than the minimum charge cited below if the event incurs higher materials costs. We will always strive to keep our charges as low as we can.

Fees and Charges